excellent rule archive

Greets all,

I figure Bill is too shy to point out all the excellent work he's done,
but I thought list members would find it interesting. ;-)

Check out Bill's firebrick project:
http://www.stearns.org/firebricks/

Firebrick is a set of independent modules that are designed to plug-in
to an iptables firewall. Some of the cooler modules:

* Filter legal but unallocated source IPs (common in spoof attacks)
* Identify probing based on inbound scan patters as well as outbound
unreachables
* Check/record/drop odd packet sizes (like non-terminal fragments
smaller than 512 bytes).
* Filter out all loose and strict source route packets
* When suspicious patterns are detected, drop and log all traffic from
that IP for 30 seconds
* Log SSH traffic using non-stand ports (other than 22/TCP)
* Record internal servers by monitoring outbound SYN/ACKs

There are others, but you get the idea. IMHO there are some extremely
useful tweaks up there that people can use.

HTH,