Re: NAT setup

Hi Ben,

Very interesting concept. There are two major parts to this:

1) Outbound packets from those static IP's to your gateway.
   this can be done by enabling proxy-arp on your gateway
   to answer to any arp request. This way the clients would
   hand over their traffic to your gateway. Subsequently
   your gateway would SNAT them and throw it on the Internet.

2) Inbound reply packets coming from the outside. This is a bit
   tricky because, once they're in and de-SNATed, your gateway
   must know where to send them to.  Since your gateway has only
   one default route and no knowledge about those static IP's
   behind it, it would automatically send the reply packets back
   to the Internet. You might overcome this by blindly forwarding
   these ESTABLISHED incoming packets through your internal interface
   but you still need to somehow do an ARP for an IP outside your
   LAN segment. At this point I don't have any simple solution
   for that. But there are some very sharp ARP people here on the
   list who could hack something together for you or give you
   a pointer to an already hacked solution.

Ramin