Re: help with routing/firewall

Fred Gurn wrote:
Hi,
I have set up suse linux as bridge/firewall.
Simple configuration.
eth0 internet
eth1 local net
Everything accepted from eth1, nothing from eth0, traffic from eth1 is routed to internet.
IP forwarding is enabled.
From local net I can ping eth1 and eth0 (that means machine is routing packets), but I cant go outside eth0. Same happens when ther is no firewall. What's the problem with routing?

You've answered your own question. You have a problem with routing. Check the default routes on your LAN and make sure they point to the firewall box.
What comands can I use to monitor what is happening with packets?

Insert LOG rules in the ruleset and then check for entries in /var/log/messages. You can use LOG just like any other target. Until you fix the routing issue you can't do much with iptables.

Jeff