Bridging firewall setup

Hi all, new to the list. I'm trying to get a bridging firewall setup on a RH 9 box and I'm not having much luck. The bridge itself works fine but when I try to add rules using netfilter they seem to be ignored and packets I'm trying to block go on through. I've been digging through the list archives, google, various forums and HOWTOs and I still haven't found the answer so I'm hoping someone here can point out what I'm doing wrong :)

Here's what I have. The bridge is nothing special, its not the gateway and it doesn't do NAT. It does do traffic shapping but turning that part on/off didn't seem to make a difference here.

I decided to start simple by blocking some (presumably) msblast traffic on port 135. From the HOWTOs I've been reading all rules on the bridge should be in chain FORWARD so I did:

iptables -F
iptables -X # RH has some user-defined chains and i just dumped those
iptables -A FORWARD -p udp --dport 135 -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 135 -j DROP

Nothing ... traffic still gets through ... so I explicitly added the interface

iptables -i br0 -A FORWARD -p udp --dport 135 -j DROP
# same for tcp

Still nothing.
Next I tried filtering connection attempts to mysql from the outside world (something I want to do anyway) (IP address hidden to protect the innocent :) )
iptables -A FORWARD -d x.x.x.x/24 -p tcp --dport 3306 -j DROP

Tried to connect to mysql from the outside world. No luck I can still get to it.

For grins I also tried the rules on INPUT and on OUTPUT with the same results. I tried enabling ip forwarding which some of HOWTOs I read said was an optional step but that didn't make a difference either, that also seemed to be if I were to be using the machine as the gateway. A friend of mine even suggested using -t nat -A PREROUTING which didn't make a lot of sense to me but I tried it anyway, still with the same result.

I don't see any errors when I execute the commands and I can see all the rules in iptables -L but they don't seem to do anything ... its very perplexing, any ideas?

thanks in advance
Chris

--
Chris Brown
System Administrator / Web Application Developer