iptables / network / linux issue ...

Hi

I have a strange network / iptables / Linux problem. I don't know which
it is yet ...

If I ssh to my firewall (which has 4 NIC installed), I then ftp back to
an ftp server on eth2 segment of the firewall and get a whole bunch of
files (about 20 totaling 100MB), I get a transfer rate of 110KB/s
(800Kb/s) - measured on both ends of the connection. This is on a 100Mb
network.

I then ftp from the machine on the internal LAN (eth2) through the
firewall to a machine in the DMZ (eth1 on the firewall). Now I get 1MB/s
- that's more like it.

Any ideas why the first transfer could be so slow?

I have checked my -m limit iptables rules and verified (as can be seen
above) that they are not limiting the packet rate.

Regards

Ray