Re: iptable_nat module slows/hoses my Redhat 9.0 box

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 09:47:25PM -0800, Kishore Dharmavaram wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I find that after inserting "iptable_nat" module on my RH9.0(2.4.20-19.9)
> box, session-setup(ip_conntrack)  performance gets very bad.

yes, that's true.  I think we cannot state often enogh: DO NOT load
iptable_nat if you don't need nat.

> I am wondering why "iptable_nat" is slowing doing the box so much when I
> don't have any NAT rules defined.

NAT is inherently complex.  and in order to support any kind of nat,
every connection (even the non-nat'ed ones) need to be placed in two
additional hash tables.

If you just use conntrack, a single hash table is sufficient..

> Do you guys know of any netfilter patches made to address/fix this issue?.

There is no way to 'address' this issue other than not using NAT.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>             http://www.netfilter.org/