iptable_nat module slows/hoses my Redhat 9.0 box

Hi All,

I find that after inserting "iptable_nat" module on my RH9.0(2.4.20-19.9)
box, session-setup(ip_conntrack)  performance gets very bad.

Details of my test and results are as follows:
-I used 2.4.20-19.9 kernel on my RH9.0 box and I inserted "ip_tables",
"iptable_filter" and "ip_conntrack" modules.
-There are only INPUT, FORWARD, OUTPUT chains all with policy as ACCEPT
with no other rules/chains and "no" NAT rules.
-I used IXIA to send UDP packets continuously at 7Mbps rate to
20,000(incrementing) destination IP addresses through the RH9.0 box.
-I  find by doing "fgrep ip_conntrack /proc/slabinfo"  that 20,000 sessions
were created within 1 second and RH9.0 box was behaving normally, 60%CPU
idle.
-I stopped the test, did "insmod iptable_nat" on my RH9.0 and after all
existing ip_conntrack sessions have expired I reran the test again.
-My RH9.0 box got very busy, I even couldn't type any command on Linux
shell, and only some UDP traffic was going through the box at 200Kbps rate.
-After I stopped the test RH9.0 box returned to normal state and I found by
doing "fgrep ip_conntrack /proc/slabinfo" that only about 8,000 sessions
were created.

I am wondering why "iptable_nat" is slowing doing the box so much when I
don't have any NAT rules defined.

Do you guys know of any netfilter patches made to address/fix this issue?.
Any help willbe appreciated.

Thanks,
Kishore