Re: pppOE and Netfilter

On December 5, 2003 07:14 pm, ONeill Jack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can Netfilter filter pppoe trafic ?
> Or is it rp-pppoe's job only ?
>
> (Config :
> Net -- ADSL Card|linuxbox|eth -- LAN)

	Although Cedric already answered this -- the end point for the ppp connection
should be the ppp device, I'm wondering if this question is related to your
earlier question about the internal PCI ADSL modem...

	This raises a question -- *grin* ... on the computer with the internal PCI
ADSL modem, the modem shows up as  nas0 === do you yet have a ppp device?
	I know that with *my* pppd implmentation, I have an ethernet connection
(eth0) which is physically connected to my DSL modem.  My next step is to
start the pppoe tunnel.  In my case I use pppd 2.4.1d which has pppoe built
into it, and my /etc/ppp/options file contains the line:
plugin rp-pppoe.so
  I start pppd with
pppd eth0
in your friends case would
pppd nas0
do anything?

   This creates the ppp interface, and handles the connection negotiation,
including pap/chap and IP address assignment.
  Roaring Penguin has a great package which does the job well too .. but I
don't use the tool myself.
   Has your friend gone through this startup process? -- My understanding is
that in any case with pppoe .. the tcp/ip tunnel ends up at pppx device, for
ethernet connected, usb connected and internal dsl modems ... no matter what
the physical device is (nas0 eth0 whathaveyou)

   Does anyone have a clue by four to whack me with on this???

	Alistair Tonner
	Nerdnet.ca
	RSS Senior Systems Analyst.