Re: is it possible only with iptables

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 5:28 pm, Petre Bandac wrote:

> I have 2 linux machines - linux_1 and linux_2
>
> linux_1 has behind it a subnet with routable adresses (not private)
>
> I want that all the traffic incoming from the subnet behind linux_1 and
> going to port 80 to be redirected to linux_2, and from linux_2 go on the
> internet
>
> I presumed that a -j SNAT --to-source IP_linux_2 should be enough, but
> apparently it isn't

If you want to redirect packets which would normally go somewhere else, so
that they go to machine linux_2 instead, this is either DNAT, or a routing
table question (using something slightly more sophisticated than usual, such
as source-based routing and iproute2).

DNAT will clearly send the packets to linux_2 for you, but then they won't go
any further, because they've reached their destination.

> should I issue a SNAT rule on linux_2 too, or it should run something like
> squid there ?

Maybe you should run something like squid there - tell us why you want the
port 80 packets specifically to go via linux_2 rather than any other route
from linux_1 to the Internet....

Antony.

--
Most people are aware that the Universe is big.

 - Paul Davies, Professor of Theoretical Physics

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.