Re: dstlimit filter on stock 2.4.22

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:04:11PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> I've been messing with the patch-o-matic/base/dstlimit.patch filter from CVS.

Hey, cool.  I never made an announcement for that code, but still it
seems to get used ;)

Be warned that although I have written dstlimit (as contract work), I
don't neccessarily agree with what dstlimit does.

Ratelimiting of SYN packets (with limit or dstlimit) can only be helpful
in a very small subset of all cases.

In most cases, you will actually make the situation worse if you do any
kind of SYN limiting.  The problem is:  As soon as you hit the
configured limit, you will definitely have a DOS.  And chances are good
that your configured rate will result in a sooner DOS than without the
limit.

The only case where ratlimiting of SYN on a firewall will help is:

- the service[s] you protect can survive a packet-per-second rate _less_
  than the firewall
- you know exactly how many packets-per-second (or syn-per-second) your
  to-be-protected service[s] can handle.

In that particular case, you can create a limit rule that allows a few
packets/syn's less than your service[s] can handle.

The way more common cases is:
- your firewall will not handle a higher pps/sps rate than the
  service[s] you want to protect.  in this case an attacker wil DoS your
  firewall independent of any limits set.

> It uses constructs from 2.6 that do not exist in 2.4.

please refer to davem's reply.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>               http://www.gnumonks.org/
Programming is like sex: One mistake and you have to support it your lifetime