Firewall and trusting state ESTABLISHED :)

Hello,

	I have finished setting up a linux based firewall (slackware) and I feel it is locked down well enough.

In order to allow internal clients to access external web servers I added a rule to forward port 80.

I then found that no packets would make it back in, so I added another rule allowing ext to int interface forwarding for established connections.

What I want to know is can I trust having one rule saying

iptables -A FORWARD -i external -o internal -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

or should I have many rules like

iptables -A FORWARD -i external -o internal -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Seems like a dumb question -- I guess what I really should be asking is how secure is "-m state --state ESTABLISHED" ?

--
Michael Gale
Network Administrator