Re: Protecting against DoS

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 13:16, Ralf Spenneberg wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Is that valid for forwarded packets? or only destinated to the firewall?
> This is valid only for local packets.
>
> > We have avoided using these /proc settings for just that concern - that
> > they are mostly for the gateway itself and not for the devices being
> > protected by it whether it is anti-spoofing with rp_filter or protecting
> > against syn_floods.  Is this assumption of ours true? Thanks, all - John
> Actually it depends. Most just concern local packets, but
> rp_filter and accept_source_route for example tests for all packets.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Ralf
Ah, very interesting.  Yes, we do disable source route and we disable
redirects through /proc on our gateways but I thought (in my ignorance)
that rp_filter only affected traffic to the gateway.  So you are saying
that if rp_filter=1 and a packet comes into the gateway on eth0 bound
for an address on the other side of eth1 but not the address bound to
eth1 and has a source address of some device on eth0, that rp_filter
will drop the packet before it ever gets to netfilter?
To take it a step further, if rp_filter=2 and a packet come into the
gateway on eth0 bound for an address on the other side of eth1 but not
on a network directly connected to eth1 and has a source address that is
from a network that is either directly or indirectly connected to eth1,
rp_filter will drop the packet before it gets to netfilter? This
actually seems a bit strange since the network on the other side of eth0
is indirectly connected to eth1 but I'm not quite sure what rp_filter=2
means.
Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III