Re: Maximum chain name length

On Dec 07, 2003, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

<snip>

> AppliedTechnologies/Engineering/NewProducts/SanFranciscoLabs/ProjectB
>
> is not out of the ordinary.  This runs us up against the 30 character
> limit of chain names very quickly.  Working around this by substituting
> numbers for names or some other such workaround will greatly complicate
> the project and reduce ease of troubleshooting in the field.
>
> 	Is there any way to extend the maximum allowed chain name length in
> iptables? Thanks - John

(Re-posting this since my original post did not seem to make it through).

On way to extend the chain name length would be to modify
IPT_FUNCTION_MAXNAMELEN in both the userspace and kernel versions of
the ip_tables.h header file (or create a new #define just for the chain
length since several things depend on IPT_FUNCTION_MAXNAMELEN).  You
might try posting to the netfilter-devel list, but this is not exactly
a trivial modification (how to maintain backward compatibility with
older kernels, etc.).

--Mike

Michael Rash
http://www.cipherdyne.org
Key fingerprint = 53EA 13EA 472E 3771 894F  AC69 95D8 5D6B A742 839F