Re: How to make a computer invisible

Hello,

	You can make a machine almost invisible with iptables. I have a firewall box with multiple IP's on one interface. The one IP address does not have any servers listening on it. So if I do a nmap for all TCP and UDP ports and watch the traffic through a TCP dump the only responses I see are ARP replies.

So besides the response to ARP traffic no packets were sent out .. so if I could disable the ARP reply a nothing would be known.

The nmap scanned could only tell me that all ports a filtered :)

If you have a service on the IP -- like a web server I can not see you being able to hide it.

Also iptables by default is a IP based filter you a rule like:
iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
will not drop layer two stuff.

You could try:
iptables -I INPUT -m mac -j DROP
but I am not sure what this would cause and what else it will break :0

Michael.

--
Michael Gale
Network Administrator