Re: mangle after nat in the postrouting chain

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 09:50:46AM -0800, Daniel Chemko wrote:
> You are off basis. The System already routes twice.

Yes, I know that.  This is not my problem.

> The problem is that it SNAT's after you've already routed the packet.

This is much closer to my problem, see below.

>                 There is also the ROUTE patch, but it doesn't do what I
> want it to do (change the packet's route!!).

Yes, I am heavily using the ROUTE patch.  It does change the packet's
route.  I don't think you can live without it in a multiple independent
internet link environment.  Still, ROUTE targets are in the mangle
table, so still, it is SNAT-ed after you reroute the packets with a
ROUTE rule.

I can get around this by making a more complex rulebase, but it would be
much neater if I could mangle packets after NATing.  (The iproute2
solution you mentioned is also a possibility, but it has the drawback
that you have to use something else besides netfilter.  The ROUTE patch
is very similar but IMHO more manageable.)

Akos

--
Akos Szalkai <szalkai@xxxxx>
IT Consultant, CISA