Re: FORWARD question

Nick wrote:

Now I really start getting it ! Thanks again Antony
:-), and again, and again, and...

Thanks for the link. I had read that tutorial but
obviously reading it was not enough. Now when I
actually start using it I begin to understand the
theory. It's cool, I like it...

So, basically when I FORWARD FTP requests to the FTP
server I don't need INPUT, unless the server is on the
routing machine. INPUT is being used only for the
routing machine.

Keep in mind that without putting any rules on the INPUT chain your firewall box is either totally open or totally closed (i.e. iptables -t filter -P INPUT ACCEPT or DROP). Generally you need rules on both the INPUT and FORWARD chains although the rules will be somewhat different. Take a look at Oskar's sample scripts.

I guess if I wanted to set up a firewall on the FTP
machine, then I would use INPUT on that machine.

Yes, but you probably ought to anyway.

OK, I'll eperiment with it :-)

P.S. I read the correction. Now I understand enough to
realize that it was only a typ ;-)

Indeed. Antony, screw up like that again and I'll have to fire you!! ;-)

Jeff