Re: FORWARD question

On Friday 21 November 2003 11:59 am, Nick wrote:

> Antony, I thought I had it all figured out.
> Apparently, I don't... :-(
>
> I thought it should be in INPUT so that the router
> 'gets' the incoming request, and once it has it, it
> will FORWARD it to the LAN server.

No no no no no no no :))

Packets being routed do not go through FORWARD (you didn't used to use
ipchains, did you?   Your idea is the way that system used to work...)

> Now, if this rule should be in the FORWARD, what
> should I have in INPUT in order to acept NEW FTP
> requests ? Or is FORWARD doing this automatically ?

See
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html#TRAVERSINGOFTABLES

> I promised that the previous message would be the last
> one. Sorry for breaking my promise :-)

No problem.   You'll probably have another one in a week or so, when you want
to do something even more exciting :)

Antony.

--

Because it completely breaks the way people normally read things.
Why is top-posting bad?

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.