Re: FORWARD question

On Friday 21 November 2003 10:42 am, Nick wrote:

> Thanks Antony, I got it. Once nat and conntrack
> helpers are implemented correctly, I don't have to
> worry about it anymore :-)
>
> There is one last thing, though(I promise it's the
> last one ;-)
>
> When I said that only port 21 is open I meant that on
> the router machine only this port accepts NEW client
> connections. The other ports will accept only
> ESTABLISHED and RELATED. I defined this in my INPUT
> rules.

I hope you didn't define them in INPUT :)   I hope you mean FORWARD!?

The INPUT chain is *only* used for packets which are addressed *to* the
firewall machine itself - not for packets which are being routed through it
to some other machine.   Those packets go through FORWARD.

> Do I need to accept NEW client connections to port 20
> as well ? I know it's used for active FTP and I
> thought FTP client never sends NEW to port 20, only
> ESTABLISHED.

No, packets coming in on port 20 as part of an ective FTP connection will
count as RELATED.

That's the magic of protocol helpers :)

Antony.

--

Success is a lousy teacher.   It seduces smart people into thinking they
can't lose.

 - William H Gates III
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.