Jeff's Rules

It's been a busy day on the mailing list and I've already spent far more time online than I should have, so I think this is a good time to share "Jeff's Unofficial Rules for Using a Mailing List":

1. If you're going to ask a question please be specific -- Saying "I installed iptables and my system is broken, can u help me?" just doesn't work. Anyone who bothers to answer a question like that will spend 5 e-mails just trying to figure out what your problem is. If you want help, we need to know as much about your configuration, your rules, and the exact symptoms of your problem as possible. Give us the info we need to solve the problem.

2. We want to help you but we don't work for you -- We will freely share our knowledge, time, and experience with you, but you have to do the work. We simply don't have time or the interest to configure your system or write your rules. Make your best effort then show what you've done. We'll try and guide you to the answer you need. We don't want you to feel intimidated or afraid to ask for advice. On the other hand if you say something really dumb, we may snicker a bit. See rule 4.

3. There are many very, very smart people who contribute to this list who are experts in source code, rule design, firewall theory, and Linux in general. The knowledge of the entire netfilter community is at your fingertips. Treat them with respect and say thanks once in awhile.

4. Don't take things so seriously -- While nobody wants to be bothered by foolishness, off topic questions, and idle chitchat, it's ok to crack a joke once and awhile. We work hard and are usually under lots of stress. A light moment breaks up the day and makes things just a bit more enjoyable.

5. Don't spam the list with nonsense -- This is not the place for resumes and sales pitches. While I don't set the rules for this list, I can tell you that I don't mind an announcement of a related program, script, or product, and long as it's brief and in text. Above all *never* send out annoying e-mails like this one.

These rules do not reflect the opinions of the netfilter.org or anyone else that matters. Follow these rules at your own risk. Your mileage may vary. Do not take with alcohol.

Jeff