Re: irc

On Monday 17 November 2003 5:43 pm, trainier@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'll attempt to clear things up a bit.
>
> An irc proxy, is a machine that accepts a connection, then forwards you on
> to the proxy server.  An irc bounce, is very similiar in nature.

Ah, so there is a difference between an IRC proxy and an IRC server?   (I
didn't know - I'm not familiar enough with the IRC protocol).

> What I'm looking for, is not an irc proxy.  I'm already connecting to an
> irc proxy.  The problem is, when I changed my default gateway to point at
> my http-proxy, I can no longer make connections out to my irc server.

That sort of makes sense.   Does your http proxy know how to forward non-http
traffic (so the traffic can get to the IRC proxy, for example), and is it
correctly forwarding such traffic?

> (It comes back with a "connection refused").

I'm puzzled about what "it" is in this sentence.   Which machine sends back a
packet to your IRC client indicating that there's a problem?

> I thought I would have to use NAT in this case, just like I have to use NAT
> to allow http and ftp requests, through the squid proxy server.

Whether or not you need to use NAT depends on where your public & private IP
addresses meet.   If the squid proxy is also your router joining the public
to the private network, then yes, you will need NAT rules in order to get any
non-http traffic through it.   If the 'other side' of your squid proxy is
still privately addressed within your own network, and your public IP address
router is somewhere beyond it, then you don't need to do NAT on the squid
proxy, just normal routing table entries (and the machines on the other side
need to know that this is a gateway back to the addresses on the inside of it
of course).

> Here's how I'm set up:
>
> Client machine ->   squid-proxy   ->  DMZ  ->  IRC Server.

If you can add some IP addresses / network ranges to that diagram, and maybe
include your Internet router in there as well, it would be helpful

Please note that I have chosen the sig below specifically for this email :)

Regards,

Antony.

--

90% of network problems are routing problems.
9 of the remaining 10% are routing problems in the other direction.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.