iptables.o: couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for

Hei!

I have a Debian with a kernel 2.4.22. I tried to install iptables1.9 but I get the following error when tying to load the module into the kernel:
iptables.o: couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for

With Google, I found an indication saying that I could be related to an install of ipchains due to my distribution. It was indeed installed, but after removing it I still get the same problem.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Emmanuel