Re: error: ip_tables.o init_module:Device or resource busy

On November 10, 2003 12:50 pm, Steve wrote:
> I'd like to preface this mail by saying that if a little knowledge is a
> dangerous thing, then I am very dangerous....
>
> I have recently installed redhat 9.0 over the top of RH V7.3 and then I
> upgraded to iptables 1.2.7a with a 2.4.20-18.9 kernel using apt-get.
> When I try to do anything with iptables, I get the following error:-

> e.g. iptables -F
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.9/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
> init_module: Device or resource busy
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.9/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.9/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.9/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
> ip_tables failed
> iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables
> who? (do you need to insmod?)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

	I note that Stephen has fixed the problem, but for the record, this error is
generated when ipchains is loaded either as a module or in the kernel and one
attempts to use iptables.

--

	Alistair Tonner
	nerdnet.ca

     Any sufficiently advanced technology will have the appearance of magic.
	Lets get magical!