Re: IP Spoofing

It will allow sessions initiated from the host running iptables to allow
for connections to come back in that are in response to the packet the
host sends out.

If you don't allow the established related packets, you would have to
create a separate rule for each and every IP/Port pair you connect to,
that would allow those packets back in.

The tutorial's at http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/ are some of
the best I have seen, you should add them to your list of reading along
with the other good links you have received.

Unfortunately explaining firewalls in simple terms is not possible.
If you really want to learn, some good materials would be Richard
Stephen TCP/IP Illustrated, you really need to know the protocol itself
before all the firewall technology will make sense.

Also keep in mind that a firewall running on a gateway device  is very
different than on a host.

As always, google is your friend.

Ted