Re: Port Scanner

Not particularly packets of this type, but e.g. to put a rate-limit
on incoming NEW connections, in order to help prevent a DoS attack
on, say, a webserver or mailhub.
It would be nice if the limit module was adaptive, and only flagged
ips which were exceeding the rate, otherwise it seems to me that
the same effect as a DoS attack can be achieved simply by sending
packets at a sufficient rate to trigger the limit cut-off, which
would then block *all* packets until the flow reduced.
Even with a seperate rule for each server, all NEW connections
to that server would still be blocked if the limit was exceeded.

Cheers,
T.

--

This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above
and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable

If you have received this email in error, you are required to shred it
immediately, add some nutmeg, three egg whites and a dessertspoonful of
caster sugar. _ Whisk until soft peaks form, then place in a warm oven for 40
minutes. _ Remove promptly and let stand for 2 hours before adding some
decorative kiwi fruit and cream. _ Then notify me immediately by return email
and eat the original message.
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

----- End of forwarded message from Antony Stone -----