Re: TFTP Connection Tracking Issue...

Hallo Gautham,

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:14:11 -0400
"Gautham Thavva" <gautham.thavva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have enforced a firewall, using iptables-1.2.6a, on a Redhat 7.2
> host (Kernel version is 2.4.7-10).
>
> I have applied the *tftp* patch available in the patch-o-matic. The
> patch has not helped in tracking the TFTP session.
>
> The TFTP client sends the Read request to the server. The server sends
> the Data block but there is no acknowledgement from the client.
>
> After enabling the debug prints, I have noticed that: 1. the tuple for
> the connection is created 2. enters and exits out of
> *ip_conntrack_expect_related* function 3. through the netfilter hook,
> enters the *resolve_normal_ct* function. It however doesn't find the
> connection tracking tuple. It finds that the incoming packets are
> *related* packets and it accepts that packet.
>
> However, the TFTP transfer times out.
>
> ----------------
> Later I added a rule specifying the destination port of the tftp
> session and noticed that the *related* packets became *normal* packets
> for that connection.
>
> The following is a snippet of the iptable rules for the TFTP protocol:
>
> ### TFTP ###
> $IPTABLES -A allowed_udp -p UDP -m state --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -A udp_packets -p UDP -s 0/0 --sport 69 -j allowed_udp

If your server is 5.6.7.8 and the client is 1.2.3.4 the following lines
should be enough after loading the tftp_conntrack module.

$iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
# Just allow tftp to the server, further packages of the
# tftp-session and tftp-data are permitted by the line above.
$iptables -A FORWARD -p UDP -s 1.2.3.4 -d 5.6.7.8 --dport 69 \
    -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Gruß
  Jörg

--