Re: iptables analyzer - but slightly OT

--- Jeffrey Laramie <JALaramie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> SBlaze wrote:
>

> >Upon really thinking about it.... if I could just do a continuous iptables
> >-vxnL   I would be happy. Perhaps some added counters for in which the the
> >differences are shown from the last time it is last checked... say like a
> 5-10
> >second delay?
> >
> >Sort of a iptop heh.... an iptables in... top like display...
> >

> I think this is a very cool idea that should be much easier to implement
> than any kind of rule analyzer. Even better, you could calculate the
> delta between -vxnL readings and drop it into a graph that updates at
> user defined intervals, kinda like the bar graph model used in spectrum
> analyzers. You could "see" traffic on each rule in real time and know
> instantly if a particular rule was getting pounded. Maybe set "alarm"
> limits based on % of historical traffic or a user defined level. Set a
> longer (daily) interval and it would produce the kind of output Chris
> Brenton could use with a bar for each of his reject rules. Perhaps an
> option to normalize average traffic to a straight line so that abnormal
> traffic would look like "static" with positive and negative deflection
> from the x-axis. Ooohhh, my head is spinning . . .
>
> Jeff

Again I concur with ya Jeff. The options I suggested would be great building
blocks for...further statistical and analytical advacnment of the
iptables/netfilter firewall. Let's face it, us geeks like numbers. I'm amazed
that this has never come up before or hasn't already become a part of iptables.
We want real time data... and be able to shape it however we want..be it
console display, SQL databases, or any other means. We like options and access
to data even if we don't use those options.

However what we like and what we can get are sometimes very different. We have
all these really great ideas. Getting developers to acknoledge that this is a
nice feature and perhaps would be invalueable to some is not always easy. I
believe you said you don't program Jeff and neither do I. It may be difficult
to get deverlopers to take note of this..since they may not consider it "vital"
to the iptables core.

I will be the first to admit I really want this. I just hope what I want is
shared throughout the community so that in versions soon... iptables will have
easier  ways to analyze what it does. Jeff and I think the simplest point is
-vxL...anyone else out there post up on this. If we get enough support we can
go  about communicating to the developers a growing need. Otherwise Jeff and I
just might be on our own.

God Bless the OS Community and the makers of iptables/netfilter
SBlaze

=====
In the absence of order there will be chaos.