what services/protocols can't be handled by RELATED,ESTABLISHED?

  i'm giving a tutorial on iptables next week -- very basic, just
protecting a single host so all i'll be covering is filtering on
INPUT and OUTPUT.

  to keep things *really* simple, my example will look something
like this:

  IPT -P INPUT DROP
  IPT -P FORWARD DROP
  IPT -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

  IPT -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
  IPT -A OUTPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

there will be more, of course -- tossing in some logging, and opening
up the host to a couple of services, perhaps ssh -- and that's about it.

  now i know some people wince at seeing the "OUTPUT ACCEPT", but if i
really lock down the INPUT filtering, then in most cases, allowing
arbitrary output is not going to hurt me that much (although i will
be careful to point out the alternative, which is to rigorously filter
on the OUTPUT chain as well).

  however, my actual question is, if i want to allow pretty much all
outgoing service requests, which services/protocols will need more
support than just allowing "RELATED,ESTABLISHED" packets back in?

  for example, FTP is a little more complicated than the average
service, but that's handled specifically by the ftp_conntrack module,
right?  same with IRC.  then there's DNS, in which my system will
want to contact a nameserver out there somewhere.  and perhaps samba,
when i try to mount a share.

  in short, what are the services that will require special treatment
to support because they don't follow the basic client-server model?

rday