Re: new iptables user - default options

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Knight, Steve wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Rh9 has installed all the default filter policies as "accept" and then
> forwards all packets from INPUT and FORWARD to a Lokkit chain.
>
> Is this normal?  It seems to me [as a iptables n00b, although I am
> checkpoint certified] to be ok, as eventually the traffic is hitting the
> detailed lokkit chain, but is this the default install options that everyone
> gets?

it seems that it's just a philosophical difference.  you can set the
DENY policy, then explicitly accept only what you want, or as RH did,
accept everything only to pass it all to a user-defined chain that
effectively does the same thing.

personally, i'd rather see a DENY policy so that, if i somehow messed
up some of my rules, i'm more likely to be *more* restrictive than
less restrictive.  but RH's approach seems no worse, just different.

rday