Is there a firewall that reads rules directly using iptables?

Hello.

I’ve downloaded and played with a few firewalls like fwbuilder and firestarter.  It seems like these firewalls and all the others I’ve found keep their own ruleset in a data store and then use that ruleset to create iptables commands, and then blow away whatever rules are in netfilter already and load the ruleset they create.

Are there any firewalls that read the netfilter rules using iptables and don’t have any intermediate storage of their own rules.  I’d like a firewall that was aware of any changes made to netfilter rules if a program external to it issued an iptables command to change the rules, and then allowed you to manage that.

Thanks for your help.