Re: SO HOW! iptables: invalid argument

On October 25, 2003 10:13 am, John Paul wrote:
> > Ummm.
> >
> >    I would personally apply POM before building iptables code
>
> I actually did the other way around but still have same problem "invalid
> argument"
>
> i have two versions of iptables running.
>
> iptables (from rpm /sbin/iptables) = works okay
> iptables (from source /usr/local/sbin/iptables) = invalid argument

1) iptables core code does depend on the code in the kernel to ensure
consistency. POM to kernel before building the iptables code.

2) having two copies of an application is ... difficult.
    I would remove the rpm myself for ease of use.  It can be worked around,
but it annoying at the least.

3) ensure that /etc/ld.so.conf does include  a reference to /usr/local/lib/
	this is where the libraries for the new version of iptables are.  ... or
        review *(uuuuhhmmm I think its) LD_PRELOAD variable when you are
	running the iptables command. (if you want to try running with two
	installed packages)

> my Q is... why did the iptables from source didnt work. any helpful hint?

	Code inconsistencies between the RPM and the built versions.