Re: transparent squid with iptables masq

----- Original Message -----
From: "Subramanian Thenralmani" <sthenral@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 10:40 AM
Subject: transparent squid with iptables masq

> Hi,
>
> I have configured transparent squid on my Linux
> firewall and masqueraded only ftp ports (20 and 21).
> My problem is i wanted to block yahoo messenger
> through squid but after squid rejects yahoo messanger
> is masquerading with ftp ports and going out and
> without masquerading anything yahoo messanger is not
> working. How can I block yahoo messanger with the
> above situation.

Consider using ftp proxy like frox (http://frox.sourceforge.net).
Frox allows you to transparently proxy/cache ftp and it can even use squid
for anonymous ftp requests. This will allow you transparently proxy/cache
ftp. Once you have a proxy for ftp, you can simply remove the masquerading.

Unfortunately, the above solutions works for you only for ftp. Consider
using L7 classifier for application level firewalling.

Venkatesh K
KAEVEE Consulting Services
Banglaore