Re: Port forwarding doesn't work.

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 19:00, Herman wrote:

> Here is my problem:
> I need to forward a port from outside the firewall, to everybody on the
> inside.

If it was UDP traffic, you might be able to get away with forwarding to
your internal broadcast address. Since its TCP however, that's not RFC
and I doubt anyone will respond unless they have a broken stack.

> All examples I have seen forwards to a specific IP on the inside,
> which doesn't go well with DHCP.

Maybe you can do something with DDNS or specify a MAC-->IP mapping for
the host(s) that needs need this service.

>  The man page says that specifying a range
> of IPs will trigger a round robin effect, which I don't think I want to
> happen. So, how now brown cow?

Agreed. That will balance to a number of different IPs, not what you are
looking for. Then again your using TCP so you can't do multiple nodes at
the same time anyway.

> If I display the rules, I can't see any forwarding rules in the list, which
> tells me that the forwarding rules that I try to implement are simply ignored
> by iptables:

Try it on the command line and see what errors come back.

> iptables -v -L
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 55251 packets, 13M bytes)

<snip>

> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Hummm. You do realize you are letting through *everything* you are not
specifically dropping? Looks like you've had quite a bit of traffic
sneak by. :(

> How can the FORWARD chain be empty, since MASQUERADE is working and my laptop
> can surf the web?

Because you are letting everything not specifically denied blow through.

> Why are my new forwarding rules ignored?

Again, try stuff like this from the command line. If iptables is not
happy, it will let you know about it.

> How can I debug this stuff and see where the packets are going/not going?
> Can anybody shed light on this?

The counters are a good indication of what is going on. You can also run
tcpdump to troubleshoot what goes by.

HTH,