Re: Port forwarding doesn't work.

The real problem that I'm trying to solve is this:
Several hosts need to acces a gov service that uses Java and a certain port.
I do not know which machine/machines will run and I don't know what their IP
is going to be, due to DHCP.  I could limit it to one machine with a fixed IP
just to get started though.

To test this, I'm experimenting with Nectarine radio, since that is easier
than farting around with a government server.  If I can't get Nectarine to
work, then I have no hope of getting the gov thing to work.

   On the FORWARD chain, try iptables -v -L FORWARD -t filter.  That will
   isolate just your FORWARD rules.  I gather you are not showing ANY active
   forward rules?  Not even your default policy?

iptables -L FORWARD -n
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

nothing...

iptables -t nat -v -L
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destinat
ion

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destinat
ion

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destinat
ion

nothing much either...

I suppose some modules are missing, but what?

What could be needed to make port forwarding work, that is not already loaded
to make masquerade work?  At least something is working but gawddammit, this
doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers,
--
Herman Oosthuysen