Re: MSN throught Linux

A 11:09 06/10/2003 +0200, Harald Welte a écrit :
>On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 08:40:06AM +0000, Thierry ITTY wrote:
>> Use linux internet gateway device (aka linux-igd) from sourceforge
>
>*sigh*.  I hope you are aware that upnp is inherently insecure, and you
>can actually have the same security by removing your firewall alltogether ?

well you're right, but when in the office _some_ people _decide_ to use msn
you can tell'em whatever you want about they'll answer they _need_ it and
all you have to do is to obey

now what makes msn interesting to them (from what they say, i don't
personnally use it) is on one side the directory system and on the other
the voice/video/whiteboard/file sharing capabilities.

about the latter, I tried several times to convince people to keep in mind
that msn only works with msn (and more, only some versions work well
together) and that other videoconferencing tools exist, which, even if not
beeing free, have a broader range of products they can talk with. and more,
I also tried to explain that point-to-point videoconferencing should occur
in secured pipes, tunnels, vpns..., and that I personnally would not
consider a system where only m$ can offer sessions and so on.

about the former, I can't understand why people do not want to consider
learning some kind of "video address" and call other people using this,
whereas they agree doing that way for sending mail. I mean, ok you can use
directories for getting and address, but don't you see the danger with
central repositories where your conversations go (more or less) through ?

we all know that h323 et al are years too old in their design to accomodate
today's internet, but what's the way to either make it evolve or replace it ?

now to conclude i could in fact remove the firewall part but i'll still
need nat, and you Harald better than anyone know how well linux/netfilter
does that fine :-)

regards,
Bien sûr que je suis perfectionniste !
Mais ne pourrais-je pas l'être mieux ?