Re: promiscuous mode

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:12:39AM +0200, nils toedtmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to do passive accounting using the ULOG target. As i
> understood, netfilter can only see packets passing the kernel
> routing code. That explains why i cannot see packets (except
> those for the box itself) passing the NIC in mangle/PREROUTING
> (NIC in promiscuous mode).

yes.  This is how a packet filtering framework is supposed to behave.

> but thats against iptables 1.2.3 (2001-11-06). Is there any
> other way doing passive accounting with iptables?

no, and I don't recommend it.  neither iptables, nor ULOG/ulogd are a
good way of doing accounting.

This discussion happened before.  Either on netdev, the ulogd list or
netfilter-devel, don't remember.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>             http://www.netfilter.org/