icmp echo requests

Hi,

I've been monitoring the NAT router with pktstat and am a little
perturbed to see quite a lot of icmp echo requests.  Now I've
setup my Linux firewall to reject icmp echo requests.

Is this the right(?)/correct/valid/appropriate thing to do?

Furthermore (just for clarification) using tcpdump, I get incoming
icmp echo requests, but no response from my firewall(good thing
right?.  This means the firewall is dropping/rejecting the
echo requests?

Here is the line from the firewall script:

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp --icmp-type 8 \
        -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-unreachable

Btw, I'm quite bothered about the pings.  It doesn't
look right.