RE: Clients joining a host on a private LAN behind a NAT

What you’re internal LAN guys are trying to do is connect to the Internet game over the internet, so it is going through the firewall, then trying to get into the firewall back the way it came. If War 3 has a direct connect to server ip feature, try that. I forget the sane way to perform what I call a ‘gateway loopback’ on NATed firewalls.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Stian Bergheim [mailto:bjartebe@xxxxxxxx]
Sent:
Friday, September 26, 2003 7:44 AM
To: Daniel Chemko
Subject: SV: Clients joining a host on a private LAN behind a NAT

I’ll try to explain better.

It’s not really only related to war3 as far as I know, but it’s the only game we have more than 1 cdkey so we can try.

You log on to battle.net, host a game, and then other players join your game. People from the internet can join, people from the lan cannot.

Here’s the rule I use:

iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp --dport 5000 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.2:5000

iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp --dport 5000 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.2:5000

… for making other people on the internet join games I host.

When someone on my LAN tries to join my game, this is what happens:

192.168.0.3 is on battle.net, sees the game that 192.168.0.2 hosted, tries to join, iptables sees that 3 is trying to join ext.ip, and rewrites the rule. Computer 3 sends a request to computer2, computer3 sends a reply to computer2, but computer2 never sendt a request to computer3, but the external ip, so the packet is dropped.

Atleast this is what I think is going on, I haven’t been able to fix it though :/

 - Thomas