RE: A humble proposal

I had a thought about this, and I see a lot of work taking this
approach.

How about this:

Write a jump target that applies only inside the filter table, since the
first revision would just implement filtering control.

The module itself would be initialized by a userspace tool be adding
rules. An example would be:

iptables -I INPUT -m expire --expire-condition timer=6000 --expire-id
12123124325 --source 192.168.1.1/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I OUTPUT -m expire --expire-condition timer=6000 --expire-id
12123124326 --destination 192.168.1.1/24 -j ACCEPT

Since they are inserted in these tables, they should be called before
ESTABLISHED,RELATED is even hit.

The jump determines if the packets are valid any longer. The problems
that I can see here are:

- The rule itself needs to be cleared out of the chain once it is
expired. I could get the daemon to do some housekeeping, but it'd be
better if the jump module could clean up its own reference. Can this be
done?

- The CONNTRACK entries for the allowed sessions are not dropped. Once
again, it would be nice if the jump module could clean up the CONNTRACK
entry.