Re: Corrupted packets + Logs

On 17 September 2003 12:56 Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:

>I'm learning networks and i saw that there are some tools that send
>"corrupted" packets to a host to have an idea of the local OS ( an exemple
> is nmap ) .
>I would like my firewall to drop all corrupted packets .
>I made a search on google with the words " iptables drop corrupted
> packets" but i cannot find any clear-enough documentation .

There is a Netfilter Extension called "unclean" , which have the state of
Experimental. You can try to use this one. Possible Checks are: packet
lenght, packet checksum, lenght of a fragment if available, invalid
icmp-codes, tcp/udp port 0 testing.

>I would like iptables to log into /var/log/messages .
>What have a got to configure into syslogd && iptables to do it ?
>What rules have i got ad apply ?

You can use the the target log along with a log-prefix and configure your
syslogd to write all Kernel-Messages (Netfilter is Kernel based) to your
/var/log/messages.

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -s $EXTNET -d $WWW -j LOG --log-prefix
WWW-Connection

Greetings,

Thorsten Scherf
RHCE, RHCX