Re: Dropping RST of SYN

At 08:58 PM 9/8/2003 +1000, Atsushi Nakagawa wrote:
Both Dharmendra and Chris have pointed out perfectly legitimate reasons
why it is a bad idea to drop RSTs in general.  However, these warnings
have taken the original proposition slightly out of context. --AFAIS

Ralf's response was to a question regarding the removal of outgoing RST
packets that are generated in reply to incoming SYN packets.  (These
RSTs being the kind that causes the "Connection Refused" TCP message)

Hence, "dropping all RST packets", should implicitly have meant, "all
outgoing RST packets".  (The -m state ... -j DROP line is ambiguous.)

There is a corner case when communicating with certain older stacks that have, er, unusual takes on the RFCs regarding TCP connections. The Bay Networks (now Nortel) modem concentrators want to see RSTs in response to an unusual probe done by the stack when closing a connection: if I remember correctly those things will close the connection (using FIN) and then send out an empty ACK, expecting a RST back from the other end. I suspect this was some programmer's bright idea to avoid having to implement all the "overhead" of implementing a true TIME_WAIT state for a closed connection.

I ran into this as the software developer for an analog modem testing package that tests V.90 and V.92 modems, and it caused no end of grief for me as the old 2.0.0 kernels didn't react the way that Bay Networks wanted them to. This caused the particular modem module to go out of service for 45 seconds, so there were several failed connection attempts as the multiplexor did the active timeout thing instead of just moving to a different 6-tuple for IP connections.

I don't know where else this "idea" might have taken hold.

Stephen Satchell
Satchell Evaluations
OTTO:3800 and LOTTO modem testing products

--
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams