A drop-in firewall

Background: I used to be an audio engineer, and got used to the idea that a properly-designed and -maintained sound chain meant that each block was designed to "drop in" such that a failure of any component could be bypassed simply by patching around it.

Situation: I have a series of Windows boxes that were infected with MS Blaster and SoBig. The net result was that my network of 200 computers was completely brought to its knees when these Windows boxes started doing their thing. I don't control the Windows boxes (co-lo situation).

Desired solution: "Drop" a Linux box between the Windows boxes and the rest of the internal network. Use IPTABLES to ensure that the Windows boxes can't do anything nasty to the rest of the systems in the room, without impairing access to the rest of the Internet.

SOLUTION 1: Use the experimental ROUTE target:
Public-network interface has the addresses of all Windows boxes on the protected network. Design rules that take packets destined for those boxes and route them instead to the protected-network port. Bypass the routing table completely.
Protected-network interface has the address of the site gateway. Design a rule that takes packets destined for the gateway and route them instead to the public network interface. Bypass the routing table completely.
Use regular FILTER FORWARD rules to impose access rules on the local /24s.

SOLUTION 2: Use MARK target
How does this work? Google doesn't bring up any usable discussion. Pointers?

What makes solution 1 not very usable is that Red Hat doesn't include the ROUTE target in its distributions. Attempts to use Patch-o-Matic haven't worked with Red Hat kernel source. I'm going to try vanilla 2.4.22 from linux.org to see if I have better results with that.

Is there any other way to do a drop-in firewall?

OK, you ask, why a "drop-in"? Because the usual methods require the customer boxes to be renumbered, and I don't have access to the guts of the customer boxes. The other standard method requires our Cisco 7500 be updated with a route, and the network manager is scared to make the change. "Why can't you just do it all in the Linux box?" he asks?

The other issue is that some of our support technicians don't know how to do anything with the routers, so if the firewall fails the ass-wipes can't just patch around it and have the customer box "just work".

Hints? Pointers? Is there a FAQ in the house?

Satch