Re: ipt_string problems and FAQ

Tabris wrote:
> Ok, i admit to finding a message in the archive that mentioned that we're
> not supposed to use ipt_string for stopping code red and such (it says
> there's an FAQ entry for it, which i did not find), so first, I'd like to
> ask where this FAQ entry is...

It's actually in the Netfilter-Extensions FAQ, under -m strings module.

> second, I've been using ipkungfu to attempt to stop codered, nimda, etc
> from hitting my apache server and clogging up my logs.
>
> It's not working, the rules never trigger. I've played around with it to
> no avail.

Which doesn't work?  ipt_string or ipkungfu, or both?  Have you
installed the kernel patch and have recompiled your kernel?

> I guess, if this doesn't work, and isn't supposed to work, what SHOULD I
> do?

Find an alternative, I guess.   I too have been trying to figure
this out myself, but I suppose ipt_string wasn't meant to be used
like that(though, I can't see why not, but that's a different
topic).  I was told to use the correct tool for the job.

Snort w/ snortsam is the type of setup I'm using right now; though
I'm still figuring out if it is indeed working.  The logs are
showing a decrease in junk; but still, some are seeping through.
*sigh*

> I'm using a kernel 2.4.22-pre series kernel with some patch-o-matic
> iptables patches. I hope this doesn't end up being another of those
> stupid questions that never gets answered.

I don't know.  What do you think? ;)