Re: External IP addresses on internal network

George Vieira wrote:

This could be an internal machine querying aol.com dns server.. which is harmless..

can you show come tcpdumps of this? Was the source IP the aol.com address or was it just the destination..

George, here is the log entry I got:

Aug 26 15:39:46 NS2 kernel: Filter_INPUT: IN=eth1 OUT= MAC=00:c0:f0:69:26:49:52:54:00:de:46:c7:08:00 SRC=172.144.233.136 DST=192.168.0.24 LEN=73 TOS=0x10 PREC=0x00 TTL=128 ID=1755 PROTO=UDP SPT=137 DPT=53 LEN=53

eth1 is the internal LAN interface and 192.168.0.24 is it's IP address. It appears from this that I'm getting DNS queries on my internal interface from an address that is not in my subnet.

I would be worried if it was the source IP and it was going out, not in. If it was coming in then don't panic though I woudl prefer to run a caching DNS server locally and block DNS going out.

The firewall box is a fully configured DNS server for my public and private domains, so getting a DNS request on the internal port is normal. I'm just puzzled (and a little concerned) that the client box is identified this way.

I have a theory that a laptop on the LAN may have been assigned a valid AOL IP during a dialup session and is still configured to use it somehow for DNS only (otherwise all the packets would fail this rule). Very odd. I'm going to do some more digging on this one.

Thanks,
George Vieira
Systems Manager
georgev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message----- From: Jeffrey Laramie [mailto:JALaramie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 1:57 AM To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: External IP addresses on internal network

Hi all,

I recently updated my configuration by modifying one of my filter INPUT rules to specify source IPs coming in from the LAN:

iptables -t filter -A INPUT -p all -i $LAN_Interface -s $LAN_IP_Range -j Lan-Host

Packets not meeting this condition (among others) are logged and dropped. The intent is to catch any internal packets coming from an external IP address. No sooner did I load this rule when I started logging packets with an AOL IP address coming from the LAN interface going to port 53. I have a small LAN with only a handful of PCs which I configured myself, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Have I configured this wrong? Several users connect to AOL through the firewall so that's a possible cause, but I don't know why an AOL program would spoof IPs. Thoughts?