Re: Traffic going out wrong interface

Hello Julian,

Julian Gomez wrote:

I think this behavior is a documented kernel issue.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

ARP requests go out on all interfaces, and can be received on all
interfaces also

What I found weird was that there is no legitimate "communication" reason for the legal NAT address to be ARPing for the private NAT address, at least not that I can think of. Also, I don't *think* this is a "ARP being seen off of all interfaces" problem, as I would expect to see ARPs for the external gateway on the internal network if it was and I never see these. Its always the legal NAT to private NAT address.

Are you running 'tcpdump' on the firewall/routing device itself ? I think a
number of us have noticed rather odd things in regards to snat/dnat
addresses when running tcpdump on the firewall itself.

Hummm. I'm not running tcpdump, but I am running Snort which would have the same effect on the interface. Let me shut Snort down for a while and see if the problem goes away. If it does turn out to be Snort, that would be kind of weird as well as I've run this config since last fall. I did recently upgrade to Snort 2.0 however, so maybe something that's changed in Snort from 1.9 --> 2.0 is causing it.

Thanks for the help!
Chris