Re: Need help have some questions...

--- Ralf Spenneberg <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Mon, 2003-08-25 um 22.05 schrieb SBlaze:
> > > Now, what does the circuit relay do? Does it just amplify the signal? Or
> does
> > > it terminate, reconstruct and forward the information?
> > >
> > Ralf seems to disagree that the second layer is a bridge... I never though
> of a
> > bridge as a dumb proxy...but thats essentially what it is right?? Anyway
> this
> > isn't really the focus of what I want to know...
> Circuit Relay operates on Application layer. A typical circuit relay is
> socks. It just forwards connections.
>
> > So if I understand what Ramen is saying. It is possible to do this with a
> > module  that could be loaded into iptables. Aside from the CPU argument is
> > there any other reason why this isn't being done? It seems to come up time
> and
> > time again.
> >
> You could, if you would write the module. But this is better done in
> userspace.
> > > >
> > Again no one really shed any light on what I'm supposed to do here. What
> proxy
> > am I supposed to use? Everyone is saying use a proxy but no one is giving
> any
> > specifics as to what kind or what software?.
> Sure, I did: Use Apache. Apache can work as a webserver for you on your
> Linux box and at the same time as a proxy for the Windows box.

Currently I am using Apache and I have two sites vhosted on it. The only sort
thing I really use my windows box for is web browsing/multimedia that sort...it
has no services available to the world. So thats whats confusing me is that
everyone says use a proxy but I don't see how using a proxy can stop those
unwanted requests. I'm trying to stop certain requests from reaching my web
server which is my router/firewall/web/file server. So how is a proxy supposed
to help in this case? Everyone says it is but I just don't know much about
"proxying" or proxying soloutions for that matter

Thanks alot
SBlaze

> Cheers,
>
> Ralf
> --
> Ralf Spenneberg
> RHCE, RHCX
>
> Book: Intrusion Detection für Linux Server   http://www.spenneberg.com
> IPsec-Howto				     http://www.ipsec-howto.org
> Honeynet Project Mirror:                     http://honeynet.spenneberg.org

=====
"Winky is not knowing how sir, winky is not knowing how?" -=Winky / Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire=-"