From: Anthony R. Vallario [mailto:avallario@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 9:06 AM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IPTABLES Difficulties

To whom it may concern;
            I have an iptables NAT box setup on Redhat 9.0. I recently added a box behind the firewall that will act as a web server. I didn't want to do a DMZ as money is tight. I used the following rules to get all outside requests on port 80 to the web server inside:

-A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 -d $publicip --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination $internalip
-A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 -d $publicip --dport 443 -j DNAT --to-destination $internalip

My only problem is when somebody behind the firewall wants to access this webserver, it doesn't work. I don't want to have to type in the internal ip. I don't want to install an internal dns server. I would like my workstations to be able to type in the FQDN for the webserver and it actually work. If NAT works, why doesn't it go out the firewall and turn right back around and go to the webserver?

Anthony R. Vallario