Re: iptables and the RELATED option

Hi there,

The description is a bit vague...

But I assume you have a machine with more than 1 network card
Let's say you got 2

You need the established and the related for ip connection tracking
If you would use a script like the one below asuming eth2 is the
external ontrusted network card

Have a look at this example using connection tracking

modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp	# load ftp conntracking module
IPTABLES="/path/to/iptables"
INTERNAL_INT="eth?"		# your thrusted network interface
INTERNAL_IPADDR="1.2.3.4"	# internal network card ip
INTERNAL_NETWORK="10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 #your internal thrusted network
EXTERNAL_INT="eth?"		# untrusted network card
EXTERNAL_IPADDR="1.2.3.4"	# untrusted network card ip

UNPRIVPORTS="1024:65535"                # unprivileged port range

# wipe old chains and erase personal created chains
CHAINS=`cat /proc/net/ip_tables_names 2>/dev/null`
for I in $CHAINS; do $IPTABLES -t $I -F; done
for I in $CHAINS; do $IPTABLES -t $I -X; done

# set policy to drop
$IPTABLES -t filter -P INPUT DROP
$IPTABLES -t filter -P OUTPUT DROP
$IPTABLES -t filter -P FORWARD DROP

# accept local traffic
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i lo -d 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -o lo -d 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT

# turn on connection tracking and some logging
$IPTABLES -A INPUT  -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -m state --state INVALID -j LOG \
        --log-prefix "INVALID input: "
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -m state --state INVALID -j LOG \
        --log-prefix "INVALID ouput: "
$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $INTERNAL_INT -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $INTERNAL_INT -m state --state INVALID -j LOG \
        --log-prefix "INVALID ouput: "

# allow all traffice from internal over internal interface
# to external interface
$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $INTERNAL_INT -s $INTERNAL_NETWORK \
        -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

# above script allows all traffic from internal network to the
# external network and answers to that traffic
# including ftp
# no traffic is allowed from the external network to the gateway
# no traffic is allowed from the external network to the internal
# network
# no traffic is allowed from the internal network to the gateway
# no traffic is allowed from the gateway to the internal network
# no traffic is allowed from the gateway to the internet
# in other words a pretty restricted ruleset

# if you want traffic from and to the gateway a examples (ssh) below

# allow ssh traffic from thrusted network towards gateway
# you can even be more restrictive by replacing the network with
# a single ip address.
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $INTERNAL_INT -p tcp \
        -s $INTERNAL_NETWORK --sport $UNPRIVPORTS \
        -d $INTERNAL_IPADDR --dport 22 \
        -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

# or an ftp (client) example :-P
# gateway is the ftp client here
# remember ftp == very unsecure protocol
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -0 $EXTERNAL_INT -p tcp \
	--sport $UNPRIVPORTS \
	-d $EXTERNAL_IPADDR -dport 21 \
	-m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

# or an ftp (server) example :-P
# gateway is the server here
# remember ftp == very unsecure protocol
# consider sftp uses the same ruleset as ssh (yup same port number)
# or else try scp , comes free with openssh as does sftp
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTERNAL_INT -p tcp \
	--sport $UNPRIVPORTS \
	-d $EXTERNAL_IPADDR -dport 21 \
	-m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

# compare the client and server examples ....see something
# oddly repetetive  ;)

# end script

Well that's it,nothing fancy no special things no tricks against
portscanners.
Just something that keeps out most basic bad things from the internet.

Regards
Rob