Re: howto bind Mac to ip address

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 03:28:31PM +0200, Cedric Blancher wrote:

> > You know that the MAC address is only visible on the same ethernet link.
> > Having said this, How are the IP addresses being assigned? If it's by
> > DHCP, then you can assign each MAC, a well-known IP and filter based on
> > that IP...
>
> A malicious user can reconfigure manually its interface, or use ARP
> cache poisoning to redirect trafic in order to listen/tamper/redirect
> trafic or spoof another host. A good way to enforce IP/MAC associations
> is static ARP cache :
>
> 	arp -s <HW> <IP> [-i <iface>]
>
> Or :
>
> 	arp -f <file> [-i <iface>]
>
> This way, you're sure your firewall won't answer a request from an IP
> that uses a wrong MAC address.

Absolutely. But let's back off a bit and take a look at the picture as a whole.
We're talking about the internal users here. If someone is so ambisious to do
what you said, be sure they can do even more harm to you. Besides, are you
going to implement this at every single router on any LAN segment you have
internally? Or is this solution meant for VSOHO?

But, your point taken :-)

Ramin