From: Paul Cousins [mailto:paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 8:34 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [iptables] howto bind Mac to ip address

.>  I want to bind each MAC address to his or her assigned IP address so nobody should mess around to change his or her IP’s.

look into dhcpd from the internet consortium www.isc.org/products/DHCP/ 99.9% of all linux release's come with so its a case of RTM and go from there but its very easy to configure espically with something like webmin.

2.> I want to allow selective MAC addresses each time, so they are not allowed to use it all the time or I can block them whenever I want to.

iptables can filter by mac address and ip adress so deny all users but those you wish to allow. A script with an allow variable in it would be you best bet as you coud add and remove users very quickly form the script then simply run and you new rules will be implemented immediately.

simple cron scripts with drop or deny rules set to run at times you wish to deny access will restrict the users. there may be an easy way not sure?.

hope this points you in the rigth direction.

Paul Cousins
Canterbury Computer Services
paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx