RE: -m string

You could see if the module is there to load: insmod ipt_string

-----Original Message-----
From: Edmund [mailto:cc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 9:06 PM
To: Netfilter
Subject: -m string

Hi,

George Viera recently mentioned about using
-m string to filter 'bad' packets.

Is there supposed to be a pre-requisite to
the following command?

iptables -A INPUT -m string --string 'cmd.exe' -j DROP

(actually, I'm attempting this:)

iptables -A FORWARD -m string --string 'cmd.exe' -j DROP

I get a "iptables: No Chain/target/match by that name"
error.  I sense that it's complaining about '-m string'.
I applied the string.patch and recompiled the kernel
already.  (btw, I'm using Slackware w/ 2.4.21 kernel).

Btw, how do I tell if the kernel contains the said
patch?

Any help appreciated

I realize this will slow the system down a bit,
but at this point I'm just testing out the option.